Skip to main content

Circling Around Again

I've just finished "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden, an appropriate novel for this time of year when death is in the air, in a "circle of life" kind of way.

It's also just over 5 years since I started out working on my own, and a year since I started working again with a couple of old friends. One of those (Reema) has just found herself a real job so she'll be leaving us and I wish her well. Starting new things is usually harder and slower than I imagine, which is good, since I'd probably not bother otherwise.

At the machine level: we've just brought online a new server and moved all the services left on my oldest server in preparation to shut it down. Shutting down old servers is rarely worth it from a time/finances point of view, but it seemed like the right thing to do in this case, in spite of the backlog in client work I've now accumulated.

And of course, in the global scheme of things, death has the excellent function of making space for new things, and that's very true in this case. My new server is using pressflow and varnish to be super scalable for a couple of new big sites, one of which is already humming along on it (http://socialinnovation.ca). Rob Ellis has also installed apache solr on it, and it's a huge relief to be able to use it on my larger sites: compared to stock Drupal search, it gives better results, it's faster, and the site database backups are about half the size (having the search database being backed up always seemed ridiculous anyway).

Popular posts from this blog

Orchestrating Drupal + CiviCRM containers into a working site: describing the challenge

In my previous posts, I've provided my rationale for making use of Docker and the microservices model for a boutique-sized Drupal + CiviCRM hosting service. I've also described how to build and maintain images that could be used for the web server (micro) service part of such a service.

The other essential microservice for a Drupal + CiviCRM website is a database, and fortunately, that's reasonably standard. Here's a project that minimally tweaks the canonical Mariadb container by adding some small configuration bits: https://github.com/BlackflySolutions/mariadb

That leaves us now with the problem of "orchestration", i.e. how would you launch a collection of such containers that would serve a bunch of Drupal + CiviCRM sites. More interestingly, can we serve them in the real world, over time, in a way that is sustainable? i.e. handle code updates, OS updates, backups, monitoring, etc? Not to mention the various crons that need to run, and how about things like…

The Tyee: Bricolage and Drupal Integration

The Tyee is a site I've been involved with since 2006 when I wrote the first, 4.7 version of a Drupal module to integrate Drupal content into a static site that was being generated from bricolage. About a year ago, I met with Dawn Buie and Phillip Smith and we mapped out a number of ways to improve the Drupal integration on the site, including upgrading the Drupal to version 5 from 4.7. Various parts of that grand plan have been slowly incorporated into the site, but as of next week, there'll be a big leap forward that coincides with a new design [implemented in Bricolage by David Wheeler who wrote and maintains Bricolage] as well as a new Drupal release of the Bricolage integration module.PlansApplication integration is tricky, and my first time round had quite a few issues. Here's a list of the improvements in the latest version:File space separation. Before, Drupal was installed in the apache document root, which is where bricolage was publishing it's content. This …

IATS and CiviCRM

Update, Nov 2009: I've just discovered and fixed a bug I introduced in the 2.2 branch for the IATS plugin. The bug was introduced when i updated the API files from IATS and failed to notice that the legacy method for C$ one-time donations was no longer supported.
If you're using a version greater than or equal to 2.2.7, and are using IATS for C$, non-recurring donations, then you're affected.
To fix it edit the file : CRM/Core/Payment/IATS.php, and remove the line that looks like this:

$canDollar = ($params['currencyID'] == 'CAD'); //define currency type The full fix removes a conditional branch based on that value a little further on, but by removing this line, it'll never actually use that branch. Drop me a line if you have any questions.
Update, May 2009: This post is still getting quite a bit of traffic, which is great. Here are a few important things to note:
The IATS plugin code is in CiviCRM, you don't need to add any code.You do still …