Skip to main content

Varnish, Drual and ical (.ics): expiry issue fixed

My normal configuration of a public site on my servers involves using varnish for the page cache and setting expire page to 1 day. This mostly works quite well (the varnish module in Drupal takes care of clearing the varnish cache when you're creating/editing content).

We recently launched a new Drupal version of the Calgary French & International School (okay, I was just along for the tail end to help with the launch, Karin and Rob get the credit for all the work), which includes an ical feed for parents (generated from views of course).

That's an excellent thing - parents can subscribe to the feed and have all the upcoming events on their mobile device (or google calendar, or both). But we discovered that although it works great on the Mac desktop, it wasn't working well for iOS (i.e. the iPhone). It would poll frequently enough, but only actually update once a day.

It turned out that these two devices are interpreting the http header 'cache-control' differently - on the iphone, it appeared to interpret it to say don't both looking for fresh data more than once a day. The header is not very well defined unfortunately, but it is used by Drupal/Varnish to control the maximum expiry date, so we didn't want to crank it too low (or risk a badly performing site, since most access is anonymous).

The solution was actually simple: a little help in the varnish vcl file, in my vcl_deliver function, below. The piece I added was the second if, and it's just modifying the cache-control header on output if it's delivering a file with extension 'ics'.

sub vcl_deliver {
  if (resp.http.magicmarker) {
    unset resp.http.magicmarker;
    set resp.http.age = "0";
  }
  if (req.url ~ "\.ics$") {
    set resp.http.cache-control = "public, max-age=60";
  }
}



Popular posts from this blog

Orchestrating Drupal + CiviCRM containers into a working site: describing the challenge

In my previous posts, I've provided my rationale for making use of Docker and the microservices model for a boutique-sized Drupal + CiviCRM hosting service. I've also described how to build and maintain images that could be used for the web server (micro) service part of such a service.

The other essential microservice for a Drupal + CiviCRM website is a database, and fortunately, that's reasonably standard. Here's a project that minimally tweaks the canonical Mariadb container by adding some small configuration bits: https://github.com/BlackflySolutions/mariadb

That leaves us now with the problem of "orchestration", i.e. how would you launch a collection of such containers that would serve a bunch of Drupal + CiviCRM sites. More interestingly, can we serve them in the real world, over time, in a way that is sustainable? i.e. handle code updates, OS updates, backups, monitoring, etc? Not to mention the various crons that need to run, and how about things like…

Building and maintaining Drupal + CiviCRM application containers

In my previous two posts, I provided some background into why I decided on using containers for a boutique Drupal + CiviCRM hosting platform, and why Docker and its micro-services approach is a good choice for building and maintaining containers.

Although I promised to talk about orchestration, that was getting ahead of the story - first I'm going to look at the challenge of keeping your application containers up-to-date with OS and application-level updates. There's a fair amount of work in that, but the tooling is mature and there is lots of good documentation.

A great place to start is to visit the official Drupal docker hub page. From there, you can pull a working Drupal code container, and it gets re-built frequently with all the OS and Drupal-code updates, so you just refresh your containers whenever you want (i.e. whenever a security release comes out, or more often to stay up-to-date).

A nice thing about that project is that it demonstrates a technique for maintaining …

The Tyee: Bricolage and Drupal Integration

The Tyee is a site I've been involved with since 2006 when I wrote the first, 4.7 version of a Drupal module to integrate Drupal content into a static site that was being generated from bricolage. About a year ago, I met with Dawn Buie and Phillip Smith and we mapped out a number of ways to improve the Drupal integration on the site, including upgrading the Drupal to version 5 from 4.7. Various parts of that grand plan have been slowly incorporated into the site, but as of next week, there'll be a big leap forward that coincides with a new design [implemented in Bricolage by David Wheeler who wrote and maintains Bricolage] as well as a new Drupal release of the Bricolage integration module.PlansApplication integration is tricky, and my first time round had quite a few issues. Here's a list of the improvements in the latest version:File space separation. Before, Drupal was installed in the apache document root, which is where bricolage was publishing it's content. This …